Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My 10 Favourite Books of 2014

I was initially going to call this my "best books of 2014" post, but since what constitutes "best" differs depending on the reader I've instead chosen to focus attention on the ten books that made the biggest impression on me in 2014. Given I was in a review funk for the last half of the year, I've only reviewed six of the ten books on my list (click on the titles to link to the reviews).


(1) The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell (2014 - Contemporary Literature/Fantasy). Not having read Mitchell's previous novels, I wasn't sure what to expect from this one.  Well-written with a great cast of characters, I was disappointed that the book had to end.

(2) Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (2014 - Dystopian). This is a beautifully written tale of survival in the aftermath of a global pandemic.

(3) The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier (2014 - Historical Fiction/Time Slip). Successfully blending history and myth into a fast-paced tale, Fortier has delivered a winner with The Lost Sisterhood. The focus of this book is the origins of the legendary Amazons.

(4) Daughter of the Gods by Stephanie Thornton (2014 - Historical Fiction). Stephanie Thornton is quickly becoming one of my favourite historical novelists. Daughter of the Gods tells the story of Egyptian royal Hatshepsut.

(5) The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick (2014 - Modern Day Jane Austen Re-Telling). I loved everything about this modern-day retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and think any fan of Austen would too.


(6) A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett (2013 - Memoir). This is a beautifully written memoir conveying Lindhout's fifteen months held in captivity in Somalia. Although Lindhout endured horrendous abuse at the hands of her captors, making this book difficult to read at times, she managed to hold on to the hope that she would be freed.

(7) The Iron King by Maurice Druon (2013 re-issue - Historical Fiction). Druon's Accursed King's series of historical novels, set in the French Court during the 13th and 14th centuries, has been called "the original game of thrones" by George R.R. Martin.  The Iron King is the first novel in the seven book series.

(8) The Harlot's Tale by Sam Thomas (2014 - Historical Mystery). This follow-up to Thomas' debut, The Midwife's Tale (which made my list of 2013 favourite reads) is every bit as good as its predecessor. Bridget Hodgson is an engaging heroine and the mystery is a good one.

(9) Traitor's Blade by Sebastien De Castell (2014 - Fantasy). This is the first book in a new fantasy series. The characters are great, and I love the world De Castell has created. I can't wait for the next book.

(10) The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker (2014 - Mystery). Fabulously told murder mystery that left me guessing about the identify of the perpetrator until the very end.

What were your favourite books from 2014?

post signature